White bread (the firmer the better)
Onions (lots), chopped
Celery (lots), chopped
Green bell pepper (very little), chopped
Carrot (very little), chopped
Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Preheat BGE/oven to 350F, indirect
2. Break bread, by hand, into large bowls
3. In a large saucepan, sauté onion, celery, bell pepper, carrot, and herbs (left as whole sprigs to be removed later) in a generous amount of butter. Season with pepper. Sauté until very soft, then remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit. Remove sprigs of herbs.
4. In a small saucepan combine equal parts chicken stock and unsalted butter. Heat to melt butter and combine. Set aside.
5. Add sautéed veggies to bread and toss to combine. A little at a time, add stock/butter mixture until a slightly gummy but not soggy consistency is reached
6. Add mixture to a greased baking dish. Distribute in dish evenly but do not pack down. Bake in oven/BGE at 350F until a golden crust begins to form.
Team Fireside Chris Meikrantz