Shun Classic 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
Shun Classic’s amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 “Super Steel” with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel–16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife’s beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife’s handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
The large 8-inch blade of this Shun chef’s knife makes it ideal for versatile slicing, chopping, dicing, and more. Like many Asian-style knives, the knife’s handle is especially suited to smaller users. In contrast to the traditional round profile, however, Shun’s are D-shaped to prevent the knife from twisting in the hand, providing extra stability and a firm grip. The handle is made from ebony-colored PakkaWood, a fused blend of hardwood veneers imbued with waterproof resin that combines the warmth and traditional look and feel of wood with the strength and durability of plastic. The offset stainless steel bolster is designed for ergonomic comfort and maximum safety, while a stainless-steel end cap provides the finishing touch. As sturdy as it is lovely, the chef’s knife is officially safe to put in the dishwasher–although it’s so good-looking you might find yourself hard-pressed to do so. Shun knives carry a limited lifetime warranty.