Green Egg Tune up (gasket replacement)

I have been cooking on my XLG Big Green Egg for close to a year with no gasket. I have the new one I just didn’t want to go through the process of replacing it. So yesterday I decided to see if I could do it the “easy way”.

I simply scraped the old one off the bottom only, never touched the top. After scraping it, I wiped it down with a dry paper towel. Then I cleaned out the grill itself. I immediately lit the egg and let it run up to about 400 degrees. I then put 75 pounds of Boston Butt on it and cooked them for 14 hours. The picture shows it while I was cooking it clean this morning; the next day. There is absolutely no smoke leaking from the gasket area. One gasket strip worked GREAT and only took about 15 minutes, without me getting filthy doing it. I did put a strip around the chimney cap too and still have enough left over to do it all again! As I write I’m cooking it clean at about 600 degrees so I’ll let you know if the strip falls off or not when I get home from work. This was done using the High Que Brand high heat gasket but the fine folks at Big Green Egg have recently upgraded their high heat gasket to one that we like as well.
Categories
0 Comments
0 Pings & Trackbacks

Leave a Reply


*